Thursday, June 25, 2009

Never Can Say Goodbye: RIP Michael

Growing up in the 70s, I loved Michael Jackson: ABC, Never Can Say Goodbye, I Want You Back. To this day my favorite Christmas album is the Jackson 5's. I have such clear memories of it crackling on my parents stereo. (BEST version of "Up On The Housetop" EVER!) Then came the 80s. And MTV. And Michael ruled the video scene—Billie Jean, Beat It, Thriller. AMAZING. He was so insanely famous during that time, which is why I think he kind of flipped out. I can't imagine having that much fame can ever be good for you. He was eccentric and weird but truly talented. I can't help but dance when I hear his music.






This is an earlier teen performance I had never seen: Michael & The Jackson 5 on the Carol Burnett show. The dancing!



This is Michael's iconic performance of Billie Jean at the Motown 25th Anniversary. I remember watching this on TV and being blown away. Apparently Fred Astaire called him up the day after the show to tell him it was a "helluva performance."



You'll be missed Michael, but you'll live on in our hearts and iPods forever...